Topic

Spontaneous random freeze

I was going from one zone to the other -- from Hechey Track to the Short Track -- and the game froze. No move, no chat, nothing.

Posted 14 years ago by Peter Verona Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• I'm not sure how interrelated the various freezes I had today were, so I'm going to talk about them in general here instead of trying to classify into different bug reports...actually, I had so many today (somewhere between one and two dozen), I stopped paying attention to the conditions that led to them.

I started out in chrome/linux: too much freezing
    Moved to chrome/mac: still too much freezing
    Moved to safari/mac: seemed slightly better, but I can't be positive.

One specific condition that led to a freeze which might be repeatable: get Rube next to a signpost. hit enter, select the signpost, then quickly hit enter again and select rube/talk to rube before being transported. This made me freeze. I noticed other race-condition-type bugs today as well having to do with picking up/using items...gah. I missed those in my notes.
    Posted 14 years ago by quasistoic Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I also had 1 or 2 dozen freezes (Mac/Firefox), and stopped paying attention to the situations... but they might have stopped after the downtime.

It definitely happened on levels up 2 and 4 (but not 3), and often when I was going into our out of my home.

The first time, I thought it was a race condition, as I had started to interact with an item before the level up popped up, so they were both active. But that was the only time it appeared to be a race condition to me.
    Posted 14 years ago by clare Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It happened a lot to me when trying to use signposts, but they worked 90% of the time. If it happened elsewhere, it was usually solved by clicking in the game. 3 or 4 times, waiting a few minutes fixed it by itself. I had that 'stuck in the ground' thing once.
    Posted 14 years ago by Tingly Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I had less freezes this time! They only happened when levelling up. I could not either click 'spend the skill point' or the 'not thanks, later' button.

had to reload
    Posted 14 years ago by Chelseathing Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I could click on both, but 'no thanks, later' would freeze.
  • i had this.

i could see activity going on beneath the level up screen, chat and whatnot, but couldn't interact with anything.

refreshing fixed.
    Posted 14 years ago by striatic Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I also experienced a handful of freezes yesterday, mostly upon clicking signposts, although also at least once on a level up message.

I also had the game freeze up on me each time I entered the portal to the wintry place, and after reloading, I found myself in the wintry place. However, the first time this happened, I didn't get the normal hits to my energy points I was supposed to get from the cold, so I got to explore at leisure. Later the cold hurt me properly, but I never did get to the wintry place without having to reload the game.
    Posted 14 years ago by katlazam Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Same here.
    Several freezes in various locations on a Mac using Firefox (worse) and Safari ( a little better).
    The game froze when visiting the item page.
    Posted 14 years ago by Mina Subscriber! | Permalink
  • (yay mina! I'd been hoping you got invited. now for yogi)
  • I had two freezes transitioning between locations. Each time, the rest of the UI worked fine, but I was stuck on the screen announcing where I was headed. On one occasion I just used Save and Quit, they other I think I just reloaded the page.
    Posted 14 years ago by dopiaza Subscriber! | Permalink
  • 2 for me as well, save/quit and rejoined. I forget where it happened but it was a different place the 2nd time.