Topic

[not a bug] New Avatars - Jumping

I'm not sure which street it was, Cebarkul perhaps, certainly one of the three with that basic design. Anyway I found traversing the platforms at the top especially difficult. That's no bad thing and if meant congratulations! But one leap at least seemed impossible and I know with the previous version I could make it. Thought I'd point it out in case the distances between objects need to be reworked.

Posted 14 years ago by bluto Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• When you climb up the vine and jump to the left, I tried it a couple of times and didn't make it. But, it usually takes me half a dozen attempts.
    Posted 14 years ago by Tingly Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I found the new avatar a bit difficult to control. It required special dexterity to get the jumping action right, and it was a DEFINITE change from with the original avatar. In fact, one of the reasons I stopped playing yesterday was that I was finding my old carpal tunnel problems were recurring, in part because of the multiple times I had to attempt and re-attempt and re-attempt and re-attempt and re-attempt a jump that I used to be able to do without problems (well, ok, sometimes it took 2 or 3 attempts, but not 10 or 12).
    Posted 14 years ago by Eleanor Rigby Subscriber! | Permalink
  • In a way though, as long as it is possible, it shouldn't be easy. If making the jump is not necessary for fulfilling a quest then that's OK. However one jump looked as if it could not be done but then I didn't try more than 6 times. Previously I could do it on the first or second attempt.
    Posted 14 years ago by bluto Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I don't have an answer for whether jumping is different now than it used to be; nothing was changed deliberately, but you know how these things go. With that said, we've had some talks about adjusting the current jumping height (which seems a bit too high) and if we do that it will require some level redesign. We'd like to do this before the game world gets Gigantic but I don't really have an ETA on it.

Anyway, the TLDR of it is that (1) I'll look into it and see if we can find anything, and (2) jump height and the related distances between jump-centric map features may be subject to change in the near to mid future.
    Posted 14 years ago by Beefcake Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I really like the large jump distance. It makes the game more interesting, and separates it slightly from other games. Why is it that gravity should be the same in Glitch as in every other game ever made.

As an aside, how about variable gravity - different locations have different gravity, and hence jumping is different. This could either be done on each individual street, or on areas as a whole. It would certainly make things interesting though. Potions or items to allow you to increase/decrease gravity's effect on you would be awesome too.
    Posted 14 years ago by TGDT Subscriber! | Permalink
  • The problem with the jump distance, as I see it personally (meaning others who actually make Important Design Decisions on this stuff may have divergent thoughts), is that you can jump virtually the length of a screen. That makes it hard to know what's up ahead, and it makes some of our platforming a little awkward. Reducing jump height will not so much restrict your movement as it will put more of the game world on your screen at a time, if that makes any sense.

Variable gravity is something we're thinking about doing. We're a bit off in the future with this discussion though so I can't say much because there just.. isn't much to say. If you're interested in this topic, I'd definitely suggest a follow-up thread in the Ideas forum!
  • Also it seems nothing was changed in terms of jump distance. If you see more problems like this open up another thread and if you can give me a few specific examples I can try to reproduce them on our end and follow up that way.
  • "The problem with the jump distance, as I see it personally (meaning others who actually make Important Design Decisions on this stuff may have divergent thoughts), is that you can jump virtually the length of a screen."

i think that the top right minimap mitigates that problem somewhat.

i actually do use it to plot out platform runs.
    Posted 14 years ago by striatic Subscriber! | Permalink