Topic

[investigating] Space bar working intermittently

I've noticed that on certain levels, my space bar will cease to work. It seems to fix itself once I move into a new area. At first I thought I was just not supposed to jump in those areas, as it didn't seem to make much sense why it would be fixed by an area change. The levels in which it wasn't working di, in fact have "jumpable" content.

I can't repro it, although it happens often. I'll try and dig deeper next test. My guess is that it's a Flash focussing issue.

I'm on:
Chrome 5.0.375.99
Snow Leopard 10.6.4

Posted 14 years ago by Ecru Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• I was also using Chrome and this happened to me too. I switched to another area and that didn't help. I don't think reloading did either. I had to close the browser and restart it to get the space bar to work again.

I was struggling with the butterfly quest at the time. I've now worked out how to interact more easily with things via the enter key. The instruction was there all the time under help but I guess I didn't read it or forgot about it between tests.
    Posted 14 years ago by bluto Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Are you guys using the keyboard for anything else, other than jumping? It'd be good to know if it's just the space bar or if it's the entire keyboard losing focus. Please let me know next time you see this or get a chance to try it in-game.
    Posted 14 years ago by Beefcake Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I use the arrow keys and M without issue.
  • Okay. I'll file a bug internally to track the issue and hopefully we can figure out what's causing it.
  • Had the problem once this test, logged out, opened a new tab, reloaded game and it worked. I'm sure this was just dumb luck but it only happened once this time.

Sorry, but I can't seem to find a way to repro it consistently.
  • This looks like it's an issue with Chrome, which has always given us focus problems. I'm doing some more research on our end and we'll try to take a look. It's hard to square away because I cannot, for the life of me, seem to reproduce it on my end. But we will persevere!
  • Maybe try opening some other tabs, possibly with Flash in them? I'll keep trying to repro.
  • This didn't occur last night but I wasn't jumping after butterflies this time :)
    Posted 14 years ago by bluto Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Happened once last night and I think I might have an idea what is causing it (for me anyway). I sometimes take screenshots while playing (Cmd-Shift-4 and Cmd-Shift-4-Space...I imagine the latter is the suspect). Don't worry, they are private, and for my ogling only :) During the first tests I was taking quite a few, and also had the Space bar issue quite a few times. The last two tests I have taken only a couple screenshots, and my space bar issues have decreased. I'll need one last play session to confirm this, but that's where my bet is :)
  • I had to click on the game pretty often to get it back in focus in Chrome this last time, seemed like more than before, but not completely sure.
    Posted 14 years ago by cohesion Subscriber! | Permalink