Topic

[confirmed] Context menu for seedlings: can't tell when it needs petting vs. had enough

Expected:
The pet (p) menu item is active or greyed out to show me whether the plant will accept petting. Also, the heart and water-drop icons appear above the plant.

Actual:
Since there's only one menu item for a seedling -- pet (p) -- it's highlighted as the active item and I can't tell when it's had enough. I have to just keep petting it until I get a message telling me to go away. The icons don't appear for seedlings and juveniles.

Repro Steps:
Plant a new seed.
Pet it and watch...

Screenshot:
i.imgur.com/ut0jY.png

See my action history at right. The context menu looks the same whether I succeed or fail...

Posted 14 years ago by Lelu Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

• Is that a bug? You could argue the same for nibbling a piggy?
    Posted 14 years ago by bluto Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It's a design bug since the highlighted/active item looks greyed out. The font itself shouldn't loose its blue colour which clarifies the needs the item you interact with has, e.g. whether a seedling needs petting or not.
    Posted 14 years ago by Mina Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It's hard to tell whether an option is blanked out or not when actually selected, as in this case.
    Posted 14 years ago by Hburger Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Yeah, this scenario could use some disambiguation. We're still working out the visuals of the new context menus a bit, but I'll try to make sure this need is addressed before the next test.
    Posted 14 years ago by Beefcake Subscriber! | Permalink
  • So it turns out the verb isn't disabled, so that's why it shows up that way. We do plan to make sure that disabled verbs are properly displayed as such, though, particularly when there's only one verb, so in other cases where this could be otherwise ambiguous, it will not be.
    Posted 14 years ago by Beefcake Subscriber! | Permalink