Topic

Staff Topic

The official shutdown thread …

Glitch is closing. The details are here: www.glitch.com/closing/

We will do our best to answer everyone's questions (but please take a moment to read the announcement and FAQ before jumping in). Information on refunds is here: www.glitch.com/closing/refu...

Over the next few weeks we'll going to be releasing all kinds of things that were saved for later, nearly-done, previously-shelved or are in various states of design. We will do our best to help everyone get the most of the time which remains — you've all been given (or will shortly be given) 2,500 credits and a free subscription.

New signups and payments are now closed.

I feel sick.

[Edited to add, a few hours later]: I feel much better. Thank you everyone, for all the love! Amazing, beautiful and touching.

Posted 12 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 25 26
  • Can't believe what I'm reading. I was sure the beautiful and lovely Glitch had a bright future ahead of it: Coming out of beta 2, press release, booming with new players, support for multiple devices (PSN, XBox Live, iOS, Android). I certainly didn't see this one coming. I'm sad and flabbergasted.

Thanks for making one of the most original games I've ever played.

Just one question: Why have you guys never really launched the game? I've never seen reviews on gameshows and websites. I can't stop feeling that a real 'launch' would have brought millions of players to the game.
    Posted 12 years ago by Niks Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I hate to be a hater, but isn't this game still in beta? Most websites comments are filled with comments that read along the lines of "I tried to sign up, but was just told it was still in beta, was just waiting for it to launch". Did that ever happen? 
    Posted 12 years ago by HardKase Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I've seen other games close down over many years but never have I been so sad. This game is a gem in the gaming world. As for refunds, I'm not looking for one. I was happy to pay some money towards a wonderful game. I really hope you guys reconsider closing down Glitch. So sad :(
    Posted 12 years ago by Totalnuts Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm sad. It was a great game. It was never punishing or frustrating, it just felt good to play it. I couldn't do anything wrong, every action had some kind of sense. It never demanded me to play, I could leave every moment when my children woke up or so, without having to finish x or y or any other punishments from the game. It just waited for me, patiently. It was always relaxing, never stressful to play it.

About the refunds, are you crazy? You will give refunds for the past YEAR? How is that possible, I can't believe it. Surely you didn't collect all the earnings from the past year on one big cashpile sitting in a corner of your company which you can now easily redistribute, you must have spent it for servers, employees etc. . As great as the refund sounds, I really hope you considered it very well, please don't ruin yourselves.

I know, I can talk lightly, since I never purchased a subscription, and now I feel a bit guilty. I had much fun around a year ago with this game, but then real life got more demanding and I slipped out of the game. I didn't play for almost a year, I just started again a few weeks ago. It seemed to me the game was thriving, so many new things were introduced the past weeks, I had really fun again. And I was planning to become a subscriber next year, after the stressful christmas time. :(
    I was also very inspired by the game. I've seen some really great glitchinspired projects on these forums and I wanted to make one of my own. Again, after christmas. :( I thought about crocheting the cubimals.

I'm so sad that soon it will all be over. I would also like to keep some memories, I don't want to forget this game. Perhaps someday you could make a book about it? With pictures from the game, concept art, hilarious, sad, dramatic, interesting stories from events inside the game and from your company. It would be great, but as I'm writing this, I realize the possibility for something like that ist very small. There were so few - too few - people playing the game, who would buy such a book? Only a part of this small group of people. Someone who never knew this game won't be interested in such a book.

Goodbye. And thank you, I was happy to be a tiny part of this game.
    Posted 12 years ago by Lufia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you for everything you did! It was an amazing ride!
    I wish the best for Tiny Speck!

// random thoughts :
    pssssst. anyone from ludi here? Is now a good time to release gne into the open (like in openserver opensource opensomething) ?

{yes, glitch would make a great facebook app lalalala la}

Damn, I'll miss those piggies! 
    //

.quoting Saramago
    'Inside us there is something that has no name, that something is what we are.'

.quoting Fernando Pessoa
    'To be able to laugh, laugh, laugh uproariously,
    To laugh like an overturned glass,
    Completely crazy just from feeling'

.quoting .gatto
    'need zen moment
    ahummmmmm hmmmmmmm '
    from 3 years ago

*Positive feeling : Can't wait to see what's coming next :)
    Posted 12 years ago by .gatto Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you for trying to make the world a better place.
    Posted 12 years ago by Candy Warhol Subscriber! | Permalink
  • *Hugs* Thanks for providing this great game while it lasted. I am sad to see it go. 
    Is there any way to opt out of refunds? I recently bought a sub, and the time I've had has been worth every penny to me and I don't feel the need to have a refund for that <3 I would like to see that money used to support the developers.
    Posted 12 years ago by Griffinsong Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I just want to say thank you for not only showing that developers can love their game and play it too and also maintain professional business ethics. While I do agree that more advertisement and going out of beta might have helped, far be it for me to rub that in when your staff must be overwhelmed at this sad news that has my eyes tearing up as I type this. 

Best wishes for all of your future projects.
    Posted 12 years ago by Sarabanda Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is so sad.  I will miss the game and all the hard work you put into it so much.

"The lights went out in his eyes for absolutely the very last time ever."
    Douglas Adams - So Long and Thanks for all the Fish

Goodbye Glitch.
    Posted 12 years ago by FineousFingers Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I've played a lot of games, and a lot of MMOs, so it's nothing really new to me for a game to fade into obscurity. I started playing on and off roughly a year ago, and at this point, I've stopped playing so much as just checking for news every few days.

I checked my skill page today, maybe half an hour ago (it's 4:44 AM as I type this) and to my surprise, I saw 2525 credits, instead of the 25 I've seen for virtually the entire time I've played. I thought some exciting event had occurred, so I go and check the home page, and I see it in dark bold font with a yellow background: "We have bad news: Glitch is closing"

Considering how little I've played in recent months, it shouldn't bother me to see this. It really shouldn't, but I still feel horribly sad, and I have no idea why. Perhaps it was the vivid (and strange) world that had charmed me? Or the funny little details throughout the game? Whatever it was, it got me without my noticing, and it became something like an old friend.

I imagine this is what it feels like to have a friend die. Yes, I really hit the nail on the head there.

Good night, meine freunde.
    Posted 12 years ago by Hollai Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I really enjoy Glitch...  I am very sorry that you are closing the game.  I have played other on-line games but found this to be the most fun.  The quests are actually able to be done and it can be played in a variety of ways.  I am very sorry for it to go away.
    Posted 12 years ago by Swanee Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I already wrote how sad I am about the shutdown of Glitch on page 15 and I've been mourning since then. Everything in this game was so great. I can't imagine finding a game as cool as Glitch ever again. It was too great.
    I had big plans on how to build a nice tower, earning badges and all. I wanted to explore the Jethimadh Tower, find stoot's statue, defeat the rook (I actually never met) and get my DNA clusters. I hope to do some of those things in the coming weeks, even though it would be better if I'd study more... I loved taking snaps, laughing with friends, participating in global chat (though I'm usually shy) and everything else. It's all over now.

I want to thank you all for making Glitch possible. You - the developers, the community *and stoot* - did an incredibly awesome job.

I once learned a Japanese poem that I think fits this all quite well - at least the first half:
    ?????
    ?????
    ?????
    ????
    Freely translated, it means:
    'Even if flowers bloom, they will still wither.
    The beautiful things in life don't always exist forever.'

That's how I feel now. I started playing Glitch believing it was an "infinite" game. But then ... :(
    Life has its ups and downs an Glitch was definitely one of the best ups in my short life.

I think you should make a proper ending for Ur, like 'the rooks destroying all the imagination' or something. Just my two pence.

Glitch was a preposterous game.
    We all wholeheartedly agreed.
    Yet, we kind of liked it.
    But there's no way to proceed.

I'll miss you all. <3
    *actual crying* :(
    Posted 12 years ago by Dragonflyz Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I find myself surprisingly saddened by this news. Tears came to my eyes when I visited uutiif and read some of the notes left there. I will miss this game tremendously, although I'll probably accomplish more in real life :) I feel bad mostly for you - the staff. But, I hold out hope that such incredibly talented and creative people will find new homes soon. Who would not want people like you working for them?! My dearest wish is that your worlds, whatever they may be in the future, are everything you could have imagined them to be.

P.S. And, will anyone EVER tell me the name of that music in uutiif???? I love it.

P.P.S. No refund for me, please. I got way more than my money's worth out of this!
    Posted 12 years ago by Lilycat Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm just too depressed to have words left in my head. After a year of playing this game, I was really REALLY enjoying it. This is by far the most fun and most... interesting game of all time. There really were no restrictions. You can do anything you want! Well I think I may be done with online games because of this. It was a good time while it lasted. Probably the best I've ever had.

I was just waiting until it came out of beta so that new players would flow in and I could answer all their questions. I love helping the new guys. The feeling is so great when they finally fulfill their long time task with my help. I was planning on doing nothing but helping them the whole time I was online. Why did it never come out of beta?? You are saying that you haven't received enough funds to keep up with what you spend. I probably invited about 20 of my friends from school. They all said they couldn't join because it was in beta. When you let out the first beta, weren't over 100k accounts created in just 2 WEEKS? I had a feeling millions of players would flow in quickly and buy subscriptions. I was saying to my friends at the very time, " they will probably need to upgrade the server capacity so they don't crash when these new players start joining. There will be WAY too many for the current survers to handle. "

I just want to say thanks for the best time of my life. I guess all good things have to come to an end. I will miss all my friends, the game, all the staff, everything about this. I promise to never forget it. We must all agree that glitch was DEFINITELY a game of GIANT imagination. I miss all of you guys!

Goodbye glitch and all its lovely glitchens, the best time of my life, I LOVE YOU ALL!
    Posted 12 years ago by Dr.CookieEater Subscriber! | Permalink
  • "P.S. And, will anyone EVER tell me the name of that music in uutiif???? I love it."

Lilycat -  I love it, too. Quite haunting & beautiful. I think it's called Dreamy Theme Loop? as per Danny's post here (w/a link to download). 
    Posted 12 years ago by Christine Subscriber! | Permalink
  • WHAT THE FUCK
    Posted 12 years ago by Electric Wizard Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm more emotional about this, to be honest, than I thought I would be. 

Please forgive the cross-post, but this is the only practical response I could offer: 
    (www.glitch.com/forum/genera...) - and I want to do something practical as well as offer my condolences to the Dev Team and all the users who've had such a rollercoaster ride here. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Feverfew Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I found this game about 2 weeks ago, and fell in love with it right away, so beautiful, unique and creative! I had so little time to explore it yet, but until it's closed, i'll be trying to live it to the fullest!
    I'm sad to hear that the game will be shut down, such an amazing browser game, there's no words to how incredible it is.
    Thank you so much for all the work you've given into this game, though I bet I haven't even seen half of it yet! This game will surely be missed. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Konnor Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I wish I got to play it more. The times I was able to play were (and still are, until you close) incredible. I salute everyone involved in trying to make it work. I will miss not only the game, but the amazing people involved in creating and enjoying the game.

Thank you.
    Posted 12 years ago by Gremlin Subscriber! | Permalink
  • ohhh my !!!! first ... The Faunasphere ...... now ... the Glitch :-(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((
    sad sad sad sad ... no more words for this :-(((((((
    Posted 12 years ago by ameixa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • i can't sing you Águas de Março this time, ameixa... too sad, too sad...
    Posted 12 years ago by mira gaia maia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • We, of the Plan Z:The Phoenix Project are still discussing and considering options. As soon as we can find the right (and responsive) company contact a representative member is wanting to find out more. No miracle saves are likely, but something might be done. Tiny Speck's handling of this is impressive, as usual.
    Posted 12 years ago by Fokian Fool Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I wish this did not have to happen. Feeling extremely sad about the news. Could literally feel my heart lurch down when I saw the email notice; Hoping all the while that it would be a bad joke. 

The community and staff have been great, no, BRILLIANT, and have gone above and beyond any call of duty on any issues that may have abounded. 

Please keep us on your mailing lists to let us know of any of your future projects. I for one know that I will be there in a heart-beat. 

Wishing ALL of you the best from now and December 9th forward.

You will all always be my Ace Rimmers( www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXY... ). Please cheer up and be positive, always. 

Opportunity
    Posted 12 years ago by Opportunity Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I have been playing in this wonderful world you created for about a year now, and I have loved every minute of it! Thank you for the opportunity to be part of something so delightful and unique, I will truly never forget it!
    Posted 12 years ago by Draeli Subscriber! | Permalink
  • You all did a wonderful job on the game. It was beautiful and the entire team is very talented. I wish all of you the best of luck! <3
    Posted 12 years ago by Darkscathe Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I wanted to add my thoughts here in case this is preserved for posterity.
    Thank you so much, Stoot and all of TS - for the most fun, silly, clever, time-wasting, addicting game I have ever played. I have been crying so hard for this loss. I will always remember the great adventures I've had with Chazerei and will miss the piggies and all the wonderful Glitchen...I love you all so much...
    Posted 12 years ago by Chazerei Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm sure I'm just going to say what everyone else has said, but what a shock this is. I so much wanted Glitch to go huge and keep going for years, but it's been impressive enough being among players from around the world involved in such an incredibly inventive, beautifully thought out and witty game. Thanks so much for a truly wonderful experience, all the work the team put in and the wonderful community of people you attracted. I'd never played a multiplayer online game thingy before and this has been an amazing experience. Please do keep us Glitchians informed in whatever way you can of future developments and obviously best of luck to everyone for the future. I'm going to take so many pictures before it all ends! And no doubt join others in some insane partying, gifting, communing and general anarchic madness! xxx
    Posted 12 years ago by Molly Bloom Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks go out to Stewart and TS staff for having imagined such a wonderful, quirky, addicting game. Glitch and those who were a part of it will NOT be forgotten. I've had the best times here in UR. The whimsical art, the quests, the clothing, the music - well just everything was awesome. I look forward to any future Tiny Speck projects. Wishing all of TS staff, be you in Canada, the USA or wherever, all the best in your future endeavours.
    Posted 12 years ago by Stormy345 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS SHIT
    Posted 12 years ago by Electric Wizard Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is so sad :( Everytime I open Glitch since I know about this, it just makes me sad.
    But! I hope we will make the best farewell party ever in the history of internet!
    I am sure about that! (and that makes me smile :))

Thanks TS and all the staff for bringing kindness, fun and neverending imagination into our hearts!
    Posted 12 years ago by skera Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It's really disappointing that such an amazing game is being shut down. I'm not sure if this issue has been addressed in any of the replies of this post or on the forums but would it be possible to postpone the closing date till the end of December?

That way glitches who are currently attending school can have something to look forward to play during their winter break. Hell, the last couple of weeks of December is usually when most people have the most free time on their hands? Or atleast that's what it seems. Maybe the players of Glitch would love to have that extra few weeks?

I know this made not be possible but it seems like a good idea. They're already not doing well with the game, what's the damage on a few more weeks of keeping it running? Atleast then when new years comes, it'll literally be out with the old and in with the new. 
    Posted 12 years ago by TinyOne Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Dear Creators and Developers of Glitch,
    Firstly - THANK YOU. Thank you so much. I have absolutely loved playing this game. I am not a big fan of video games or of computer games but this THIS was a wonderful thing. The creativity, silliness, wonderful art, music - all of it has made getting to run around Ur a delightful and soothing experience for me. I spent several weeks this past year recovering from two major surgeries and during that time Glitch was a great window into a wonderful world. Glitch helped me stay sane and feel connected to something good and playful (and kept my mind off of my lack of mobility). My husband and I have both fallen in love with this little world and are deeply sad that it won't keep going. We intend to spend as much time as we can during the remaining Glitch-tasia taking pictures and exploring as much of Ur as possible and we'll be looking for the right spot so we can stand on a hill and blow our conches on December 8th.

I could go on and on - suffice it say - you guys made something truly wonderful and Glitch will be deeply missed. I'm very glad we got to be a part of it.

p.s. Is there any chance there will be t-shirts we can buy? Perhaps any money from sale of Glitch shirts could go to Tiny Speck having a farewell party?
    p.p.s. No refund for me. Yeesh.
    Posted 12 years ago by podle Subscriber! | Permalink
  • TinyOne:   I disagree.  At this point I think the sooner they close it the better.    Staff have been working long hours on this for year and they need a break.   December is a bitch of a month for stress - bad weather, miserable flights and flight delays, colds and flu, shopping and stress everywhere you turn.   Why should they be expected to keep working all month on something that doesn't have a future?   
    Posted 12 years ago by Treesa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you for creating such a beautiful little jewel of a game world.
    Posted 12 years ago by Hydi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • When I read the notice about the closure, I was astonished and I felt the heartbreak of losing something very dear to me. The community, the atmosphere and the personality of Glitch are unlike anything I have ever experienced in a game and I wanted to say thank you from the bottom of my heart to the team at Tiny Speck and every staff member who made this game the epic feat that it is and the triumph that it had every right to be. To all the players, I’m really sorry to have to say goodbye. Even though I didn’t know many of you in Glitch, I felt a common bond here in the community and I am very sad to see it end.

There has always been an elusive quality about Glitch and sadly, just like imagination and creativity, it can’t be captured completely or held tightly. It was; however, shared abundantly these last few years and has blessed so many people in the process.

Hopefully we may see the spirit of all that was Glitch come alive again in some other form in days to come. Surely, something as beautifully unique as the land of Ur cannot vanish completely. It lives in the very essence of imagination and I trust that Tiny Speck still has some of that whimsical stuff hidden away, waiting for tomorrow.

Until we meet again, onwards and upwards! <3
    Posted 12 years ago by Zaeirra Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I was so sorry to hear the news =(.

I don't game very much, since I'm terrible at most of them and hate killing things, but once my friends introduced me to Glitch, I got hooked really fast. I love the quirky writing and the weird (yet oddly likable!) worldbuilding, and I especially love that it is a game with mechanics that encourage sharing and random kindness and cooperation. And piggies! I will miss my piggies =(. I've really enjoyed the past few months with the housing reset and all the different new areas and feats and epics being introduced, and I'm so sad it wasn't sustainable.

Thanks so much for creating this, everyone, and for making it such a joy to play!
    Posted 12 years ago by Squeegle Subscriber! | Permalink
  • STOOT - May we ALL have your Music Box sound track as a keepsake?  Seriously.  PLEASE.

Plus, Hugs Stoot & entire TS Team. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Mystbecky Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @HardKase: It was in Beta... then they launched. Then they un-launched and went back to Beta. We all should have seen this coming.
    Posted 12 years ago by Deimaginator Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I wasn't sure how to describe what I was feeling until my fingers typed 'punched in the stomach' in Greeters Chat.

Thank you so much Stoot, kevbob, Jade, Herp, Kukubee, all the other devs, everyone else who poured their time, lives, blood sweat and tears into this game. You were each and every one appreciated. May your amazing imaginations bring you all to break ground on another game that floats longer than Glitch did and makes you famous, rich and on the cover of Forbes. You deserve all that and more.
    Posted 12 years ago by ~Alice~ Subscriber! | Permalink
  • To Stoot and all the other Tiny Speckers,

Thank you for dreaming a dream -- and letting us become a part of it.
    Posted 12 years ago by Spoomy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Amazing game. I am very sad to see it going. It should be sold to be honest. Someone I am sure would love to pick this game up. I know I would love to if I did not have all my funds going to my game. :( Sad.
    Posted 12 years ago by VampGhoul Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I HAD FUN. I thank yous.
    Posted 12 years ago by Chichikova Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'll admit, every time I open up Glitch in my browser now, I'm hoping against hope that the closing announcement is gone or there's a giant "FOOLED YOU! -GOD" sign across the image.

Thank you for this game.  Really and truly.   It might not have met your financial expectations, but it touched many, many people and that is something to be proud of.

<3
    Posted 12 years ago by Asplode Goboom Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I am heartbroken. I understand the financial realities facing Glitch and I did wonder about the inevitable decline of flash and what that would mean for Glitch. :( I was hoping those realities wouldn't settle in for quite a few years.

I don't know what else to say. But, Tiny Speck, you built a beautiful thing, I will enjoy it as much as I can in the next month, and I hope you all go on to be a part of something equally amazing.
    Posted 12 years ago by Merrylegs Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Glitch is easily one of the best games I have had the chance to play, and I will surely miss it. Very sad to hear this, but thanks for the great game TS!
    Posted 12 years ago by Whizy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Ugh this stinks

I will gladly pay to remain playing. So heart broken by news
    Posted 12 years ago by ? ? Leï.Leï ? ? Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you Tiny Speck for sharing your unique, awesome and sometimes quirky dream game with us.  I am so glad that I was able to be part of this wonderful world.  New friends are like stars; you don't always see them, but they are out there.  
    Posted 12 years ago by Distantstar Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Just found in my back garden what looked like a moving box, never had one of those, opened it, and saw... Craft Bot! I wanted to sit down and cry... I had seen drawings of this on Facebook page, had wondered when we'd be able to play with it. Now, I'm so sad. So sad...
    Posted 12 years ago by Kiss Me Gently Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Just opened my Craftybot package and did start crying!!! I am going to miss this game so very much. Such a sad day.....
    Posted 12 years ago by KinOfWolf~? Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Aaaa wow this breaks my heart ;_;
    I had just found this game a little over a month ago, and already it's shutting down!
    I haven't gotten a chance to play it too awfully much, either.
    For the time I did (and will!) play it though, I must say that it truly is a wonderful game.
    It has so much fun, crazy, and wacky things that most developers wouldn't dare to put into their products - and, for that, I admire you guys.
    Even though Glitch is shutting down, and it will be missed, I hope that all those involved with the project will go on to do something even bigger and better!
    Thank you, Tiny Speck, for contributing something that has brought a smile to many faces.
    Posted 12 years ago by Sakuyal Subscriber! | Permalink
1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 25 26