Topic

Staff Topic

The official shutdown thread …

Glitch is closing. The details are here: www.glitch.com/closing/

We will do our best to answer everyone's questions (but please take a moment to read the announcement and FAQ before jumping in). Information on refunds is here: www.glitch.com/closing/refu...

Over the next few weeks we'll going to be releasing all kinds of things that were saved for later, nearly-done, previously-shelved or are in various states of design. We will do our best to help everyone get the most of the time which remains — you've all been given (or will shortly be given) 2,500 credits and a free subscription.

New signups and payments are now closed.

I feel sick.

[Edited to add, a few hours later]: I feel much better. Thank you everyone, for all the love! Amazing, beautiful and touching.

Posted 12 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 25 26
  • So how much money do we have to give you for Glitch to stay open?

I am completely serious about this question.
    Posted 12 years ago by maplepancakes Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I believe stoot's answer the other night was that the game costs about $500,000 per month.  Pocket change!
    Posted 12 years ago by glum pudding Subscriber! | Permalink
  • $500K/mo? Glitch needs a SuperPAC!
    Posted 12 years ago by bumblepuppy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I want to help so, so, sosososo bad. But I can't really do much of anything except keep playing and enjoying Glitch's last days. I will miss this place so much. SO much. I felt sick as well when I saw that it was closing. I cried. This game was the most wonderful, creative, imaginative thing I've ever seen in my life. So much work went into it, and it's a horrid shame that all of it has to go away. If I could give 8 million dollars, I'd do it in a flash. If I could give anything at all, I would. This is breaking my heart so much. Thank you for such an amazing year of fun. I'll miss this place so much. </3
    Posted 12 years ago by Olivia Beth Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My favorite part of Glitch has always been giving surprises to other Glitchen, whether it be welcome bags for newbies or just hiding treats all over Ur. As such, I just unloaded every single item I have hoarded during the game on my home street. This includes artifacts, emblems, Senor Funpickle, Musicblock GNG, rare cubimals, etc. Of course, you're going to have to pick through thousands of planks, bubbles, beans, meats, and other more common items to find them! Enjoy! I will miss everything about this game, including all of you. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Ivy Mae Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I just want to thank ALL OF YOU @ Tiny Speck for undertaking such an incredible endeavor.

I only found out about Glitch a few months ago after a tiny mention in a Video Gaming magazine (it was referring to what Keita Takahashi was working on at the moment ). I fell in love with the game as soon as I got my invite. Everything from the colors, the sounds, the quests, achievements, teamwork...I saw myself playing this game for ever and ever! I am so, so sad to see it go, but I am so thankful for those who have poured their hearts into making it an incredible game. 

Tiny Speck, please keep in touch with your fans! Glitch's closing is such a sad case of wrong place, wrong time - I do hope you develop something along the same lines in the future!

(PS: Takahashi  better be working on a new Katamari ;))
    Posted 12 years ago by Mooshie Poo Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I just went salmen pocketing for the first time. It was so achingly beautiful watching the fish scatter as I chased them. 

Thank you Tiny Speck for a great game that I've enjoyed so much, for fostering a wonderful community, but especially for making a game that is art. I will miss all of it, a lot. 
    Posted 12 years ago by BatManuela Subscriber! | Permalink
  • First, I want to say that I am confident that each of the staff will find other work and will come out of this ok. You are each talented, and this game was (and is) wonderful.

I have not read all of the replies to this thread, or the rest of the things on the board. It's too much. But, if others are saying it, I want to pitch in with my hope that you will reconsider and open source the code, art, and music. If it is to be used nowhere else, and no money is to be made, then it would be a shame not to let the world have it.

I am well aware of the complexity and the challenge that putting something like this up requires. But, never underestimate the Internet. Never.

Whether Glitch shows up again or not, in another incarnation or not, run by volunteers or not, is irrelevant. If it's out there in public memory, it will be there for posterity.
    Posted 12 years ago by Mewse Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I don't want my money back :(.  I am assuming a relatively orderly shutdown like this means there's no 38 Studios-like meltdown, but still and all.  Edit in progress: the refund page options have just been pointed out to me, good.

I feel terrible.  I've been working 60+ hours a week, and distracted by other things, and while I had my subscription running I just haven't been active in the game.  I assumed it would still be there when I got back to it.  Something this unique, and crazy, and wonderful and strange should have had a place in more people's lives and a far longer run.  I doubt I can tell you all anything that hasn't already been said, but add a small forlorn "me too!" to the chorus.
    Posted 12 years ago by Boggart Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you for a lovely game. Glitch will always have a special place in my heart.
    Posted 12 years ago by Eyan Tumsan Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I FEEL SO DARN SAD!
    i FEEL SORRY FOR GLITCH. : (
    SO, I WISH TINY SPECK GOOD LUCK, I LOVED YOUR GAME SO MUCH!!!
    <333333333333
    -Apsd1109
    Posted 12 years ago by Apsd1109 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you. Glitch was a truly unique, endearing, beautiful game which, above all, attracted the best crowd of people and, if that was not enough, made them be their best because nothing less than that was given.  I will miss it terribly and I will certainly not forget it.
    Posted 12 years ago by IZA_C Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It may be too much to hope for, but recently it seems there's a campaign to try and recruit as many new people as possible through social media sites. If there are enough new members that stay active enough, do you think there's any chance of possibly bringing Glitch back into swing?
    Posted 12 years ago by JackBurn99 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I hadn't played in a while, but while I did play I had an absolute blast. I chose to not have my older purchases refunded, since I got what I paid for. I haven't really looked into why it's closing in detail, but whatever it is, I hope all you talented, wonderful devs find good jobs elsewhere. Glitch is a unique, witty game, and it makes me sad as a player and as an aspiring developer to see it go.

Thanks for the good times and the memories. Cheers.
    Posted 12 years ago by Makai Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Why glitch, well i know why. But I must remember that i have a real life now. *sniff sniff* GOODBYE!
    Posted 12 years ago by Morgana The Great Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Glitch is the only online game I have played in the last six months.

Level 49, maxxed everything, massive Tower, etc.

I just want to thank Tiny Spec for a heck of a ride!

I hope the developers all wind up with good jobs - you folks are the best!

Now what do I do with all this time I got back???  Maybe be productive...
    Posted 12 years ago by Zunar Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I still hold hope where none should exist.
    Posted 12 years ago by Kleb Subscriber! | Permalink
  • So sad for the ones that have made this game what it is.   And it does feel like FS deja vu, only this time I knew ahead that it could happen, after FS's closing, so I wasn't so shocked as before. 
    Thank you all, and I hope we can stay in touch, my friends!
    Plant.
    Posted 12 years ago by Plantagenet Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is very sad. :(

I always wondered how glitch stayed afloat though, and it's not very surprising. I just hoped for the best. This is a huge loss to creative and social gaming. Thanks for the many months of fun!
    Posted 12 years ago by Ramus Subscriber! | Permalink
  • To the Tiny Speck staff:

I really never thought I'd tear up over a game, much less some massive online game. I'm a lifelong PC gamer but never got into MMORPG's because of the predominant testosterone-fueled war-mongering in most games.

Then I found Glitch.

I first fell in love with the art, the beautiful look and feel of the game.

Then I was delighted by the music, so playful and whimsical and spirit-boosting. (Rube's song and the Moonwalk song still summon an internal (ok maybe sometimes external) "squee!")

And finally, but most importantly, I fell in love with Glitch's values: joyful discovery, cooperative team-building, the rewards of sharing, giving, helping those with fewer resources. I remember being a noob and having help from all sorts of kind Glitchen who whisked me around Ur and showed me secret spots and taught me how to do things and answered all my noob questions.

I loved that on those rare occasions when jerks showed up or people were being d*cks, the vast majority of Glitchen would respond with peaceful, rational attempts at conflict resolution. And if all else failed, there was always the support staff...

The support staff! To say those guys were on their game is to insult the game itself. The staff at Tiny Speck are amazing, dedicated, hilarious, proficient, understanding and all-around awesome folks.

In your goodbye post you guys talked about the desire to create a "crazy, beautiful and worthwhile game." Then you go on to suggest you failed at the "worthwhile" bit because it didn't make investors or employees lots of money. I would argue that even if Glitch was a financial failure, it was worthwhile in so many ways that matter so much more than pure dollars.

So thank you. For creating this wonderfully worthwhile game. It is, and will probably remain for a long time, the best game I've ever played.

I work in Mountain View, CA and NYC, and will keep my ear to the ground for fun companies that are hiring. I wish you all the best, and am grateful for the fun we had.

Warmest wishes,
    Felicia
    Posted 12 years ago by Felicia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you Tiny Speck, for this beautiful game. 

Glitch is the most creative, innovative, peacefully addicting and witty game that I have ever played; and I will miss it dearly. If I had the funds, I would dish out all that I could to keep it running, unfortunately I am a relatively poor-student who could only offer the middle-subscription from month to month.

Through Glitch, I have found inspiration to continue creating artwork, after a few-years-long pause.

I will keep an eye on the Tiny Speck page and such in hopes of a revival of Glitch or something similar~

Best wishes to those at Tiny Speck, and of course the players who made this game possible!
    Posted 12 years ago by Mouka Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you so much for creating this game, you helped me through two HARD summers.  I got through a breakup with the help of all the love I found here.  I never felt so loved.  I don't know if I ever will.  This was one of the safest places on the internet.  I've seen friendships start and I've even seen weddings happen.  I don't know what I'm going to do now, but I'll try to get on.  I will MISS the HELL out of my character and I will MISS the HELL out of YOU GUYS!  <333 Thank you so much, best wishes to everyone who was on the team and you guys are some of the most talented people I know!  I will forever love the things that I saw here.  I will forever be happy with the memories I've made.  I'm about to take all the pictures I can.  I'll miss you all!  I love you all!  Take care!  Thank you! Thank you!  Thank you!
    Posted 12 years ago by Effy Moon Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I remember I played VMK long ago and felt crushed to find out it had shut down... I didn't have time or any way to stay in touch with those friends that I made time to play with every day. So for once, I'm happy that this game had enough other tasks to keep me busy besides making friends :/

Is there really no possible way to cut costs though? :/ I don't know about these things, but there's no way for it to gain more popularity? It's so hard to believe.. Not even using a kickstarter to gain funds? :(
    hhh.
    Byebye Glitch, I hope you find new jobs and can start making pretty things again soon :(
    Posted 12 years ago by Mosaf Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I don't know if this has been asked..but will Music Box GNG be available for us to download? I would really like to have at least that one. PLEASE!!!!
    Posted 12 years ago by KinOfWolf~? Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you so much Tiny Speck for creating one of the most original and beautiful games out there. I know other people have mentioned this too, but is there any way we could purchase a download of the music? Just to help keep the memories alive...
    Posted 12 years ago by dazyndara Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Dear Tiny Speck,

I used to own a restaurant. I loved it. It was my pride and joy, my baby, my love, the best thing I had ever done. And many people loved it.

But it simply wasn't viable long-term. So I made the decision to close it. It was incredibly difficult and sad. And people were upset, upset that it was gone, and sometimes upset with me for, as they thought of it, taking it away from them.

You have my utter sympathies. I know, intimately, what this decision is like and what it means for all of you there.

But I want you to know this. When I closed my restaurant, what I did to cheer myself up, to comfort myself, to escape the sadness, was play Glitch, for hours on end.

I hope each of you can find something as wonderful to distract you now. Thank you so much for bringing this wonderful world to life.

MG
    Posted 12 years ago by MadGastronomer Subscriber! | Permalink
  • No, this I've never thought of. I've never been thinking that Glitch would be closing but becoming larger and stronger. I want to hug you, TS!!!
    Almost cry when reading the news. Now I'm playing the game with bitter feeling :(

Thank you for the game. :((( You've made many many hundred hours of my life so fun and worthwhile and enjoyable and wonderful. Never forget this!
    Posted 12 years ago by Bu-chan Subscriber! | Permalink
  • What your quitting ? you were about to win :(
    Posted 12 years ago by Purple Peter Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Nononononono. ;-; Every online multiplayer website I love seems to close down! 

Glitch has been amazing to me. It's like no other website I've been on, it's where a lot of my time has been spent. I understand that Tiny Speck can't support Glitch anymore, and I appreciate all the time and effort that was put into making this amazing game. I appreciate that all the updates to the game were to make the players happy. If this is what it comes down to..I'm happy that Glitch existed and shut down, rather than didn't exist at all. 

Thank you, TS, for Glitch.
    Posted 12 years ago by Eris the Purple Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Glitch has one of the best communities I've ever come across. Goodnight, Groddle. Goodnight.
    Posted 12 years ago by Contrivance Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Since Glitch is the only online multiplayer game i have ever played, i have nothing to compare it to, but i can truly say that it has been one of the most amazing experiences i have ever had online.. the community here is so giving that it makes you want to come and play every day. Glitch will always have a special place in my heart. Thank you, TS, for creating this wonderful, beautiful, imaginary place - and thank you, glitchen, for populating it with such wonderful people. I have enjoyed every minute :-)
    Posted 12 years ago by tuqui Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is bullshit. A lot of people are upset. Im sure my message is going to get buried quickly, but I hope someone gets around to reading it eventually....

I have been playing since the beginning, and can say that I have never felt like it was complete. Ive been waiting for the full launch and was always under the impression that it was still a work in progress. The most successful communities and websites in the most approximate genre ( I say this because nothing like Glitch has ever existed before.) take time and patience to garner a following, and to denote any real monetary success. I realize there is a lot of work involved to keep something like this sustained and a worthwhile endeavor. It is also apparent that an immense amount of work has gone into all of this. It is more than heartbreaking that glitch is leaving my life forever, it is like a close loved one is dying. I know for a fact that you are making a huge mistake, and I hope its not because you lack the patience or resources to see something until completion, or are trying to fulfill some investors asinine deadline. This could have been extremely successful. Your lack of marketing or solid direction has not only left all of your exquisite efforts in vain, it has also disappointed many people.  Thank you for the exprience, you did a great job. People that have dreams don't get far in this world, unless they are willing to walk all over everyone else and eat new born babies.

I am thankful you existed for me after I got dumped by my fiance, you helped me not want to die. I will miss you. There was so much promise with you, teaching about creativity and simplicity without instant gratification. When you set out to create art with a monetary objective it just can never truly succeed, thats just how it works. You've got to just be in it for the sake of creation. Goodbye.
    Posted 12 years ago by fruitcup Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm sad that the game is shutting down.  I hope you can find a way to keep it alive in some way.  It is too good to just disappear.
    Posted 12 years ago by KerryAnn Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I wish I could have a JPEG of my Glitch to let it live forever. If there's a way, someone message me please!
    Posted 12 years ago by Jinx Fonman Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I <3 u glitch. If I would have known you were having money troubles I would have spent more money on you. :(
    Posted 12 years ago by Sklit Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Goodbye glitch, and Ur... maybe one day you'll come back again :( Will miss you so much. Thankyou everyone at TinySpeck for the good times. It's so sad to see you go.
    Posted 12 years ago by Alcatracz Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Aw, man, I just realized I'm never going to get to reach level 60 now. :-( There's no way I can level up 6 more times fast enough.
    Posted 12 years ago by Pointy Sticks Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I've never posted on here, mainly because I've only been playing for a couple of weeks now. I am so sad to see this game go. In these few short weeks, I've enjoyed the world and exploring. I was so excited for future feats, leveling up, and finding new stuff. I hate to see it go, and I wish I had heard about this game sooner. I don't know what's worse - being here since the beginning or starting right at the end. I hope everyone who has played for a long time has good memories, and I hope those like myself who have only been with this game for a short while will harness that creativity and excitement into future projects.
    Tiny Speck, thanks for such a great game. I really sincerely wish all of you the best in what comes next, and I hope that maybe one day Glitch can return. But if not, farewell to Glitch, but many thanks for a wonderful adventure!
    Posted 12 years ago by Oskar von Grimm Subscriber! | Permalink
  • To those who say people wouldn't look; they wouldn't be interested; they're too complacent, indifferent and insulated, I can only reply: There is, in one Glitchen's opinion, considerable evidence against that contention. But even if they are right, what have they got to lose? Because if they are right, and this instrument is good for nothing but to entertain, amuse and insulate, then the LED's are flickering now and we will soon see that the whole struggle is lost.
    This instrument can teach, it can illuminate; yes, and it can even inspire. But it can do so only to the extent that Glitchen are determined to use it to those ends. Otherwise it is merely wires and lights in a box.
    Good night, and good luck TS.

-Cpt. Dixon Murrow
    Posted 12 years ago by Cpt. Dixon Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Someone recommended a nice Japanese song, well I've got one too.
    ?????????? (Today is the day we say goodbye)
    ??????? (Until the day we meet again)
    Posted 12 years ago by Avnas Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Noooooooooooooooooo

Please do everything you can to keep the game open! And once you've done everything.. try harder!! If not, I wish you good luck and I hope that one day you could re-open Glitch...
    Posted 12 years ago by daniel5457 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you for everything.

As an artist IRL, I wish people wouldn't be so quick with the "art has to be for art's sake, not for money" trope. That sounds so very noble, but 1) it doesn't pay any bills, and for some reason you don't get your living expenses or long-term savings for old age for free just because you are an artist, and 2) if, like me, you have been told that sort of thing while you are negotiating payment for qualified work you are doing after years and years of training, it rankles a lot because it implies that your work really is worthless even to the people consuming it. And the "starving artists in need are the most creative ones" trope is really not true - I've known a few fellow students who at times didn't have an Euro in their wallet and lived on one or two cheap meals per day, and they mostly were desperate, not inspired. Artists like to eat, live in reasonable comfort and safety, and even spend money on leisure and entertainment, just like those who think they shouldn't. Sorry, that's just a pet peeve of mine.

Anyway, while I realise that we all are disappointed (except for one or two really unmannered individuals I've seen in other threads), I do wish people would believe what they are told by those most intimately involved with the process, understand that we will not be told every detail of everything that went on with TS ever, and manage to take this blow with the kind of attitude many of us liked so much about the game's community.

All the best to those who put work into this project! I hope you find other things to do that are as worthy of your creativity and talents... and that also pay the bills.
    Posted 12 years ago by Not a Princess Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I just started playing last week, and I'm so sad I won't get to play anymore *cry*
    Posted 12 years ago by Arinc Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Truly one of the most beautiful, enjoyable MMOs of these days. You all made a great game, and it will be missed.

By the way, and I'm sure you have, but was the Kickstarter route considered? It could bide time to reduce overhead, or find an additional source of revenue / patronage.
    Posted 12 years ago by Acornesque Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you for teaching me that Other people are not so strange. And all the other amazing bits of wisdom, full of wit and charm. The beauty and music. The characters. So many little amazing things.

Thank you for creating something unique and wonderful. I wish TS all the best.

I'm still sad, though. :(
    Posted 12 years ago by QueenKellee Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm so sad that I didn't find this sooner, I only started playing about a week or two ago. It was a wonderful, beautiful game, and I'm really going to miss it. :(
    Posted 12 years ago by SongofStorms724 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you TS for this beautiful game and the wonderful community you nourished around it.
    Posted 12 years ago by Zendragon ? Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is so sad... I've been waiting for years for a game like this one to appear. Now I had found it... It's gone. But I can't tell how much I enjoyed my six months on Ur... Thank you Tiny Speck, thank you for making it happen. For making it possible for people to play Glitch. It will be missed. A lot. Keep your imagination going, people! And good luck to all TS workers, wherever you may go! I sincerely wish you the best!!!
    Posted 12 years ago by Leelha Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I LOVE YOU GLITCH AND TINY SPECK! You changed my perception of mmo's, and I've been an avid gamer for many, many years! My fiance says she will never forget receiving my skill notifications on her phone :). You're geniuses, may life fare you well. Blessings.
    Posted 12 years ago by ReignBeau Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is sad news :(  Good luck for the future to all the staff.  Take Care
    Posted 12 years ago by awesomeajm Subscriber! | Permalink
1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 25 26