Topic

Staff Topic

The official shutdown thread …

Glitch is closing. The details are here: www.glitch.com/closing/

We will do our best to answer everyone's questions (but please take a moment to read the announcement and FAQ before jumping in). Information on refunds is here: www.glitch.com/closing/refu...

Over the next few weeks we'll going to be releasing all kinds of things that were saved for later, nearly-done, previously-shelved or are in various states of design. We will do our best to help everyone get the most of the time which remains — you've all been given (or will shortly be given) 2,500 credits and a free subscription.

New signups and payments are now closed.

I feel sick.

[Edited to add, a few hours later]: I feel much better. Thank you everyone, for all the love! Amazing, beautiful and touching.

Posted 12 years ago by stoot barfield Subscriber! | Permalink

Replies

1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
  • I'm grateful to you! You give me great fun time.
    Posted 12 years ago by FUWA Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Wish I had discovered this game sooner, as I joined just before the announcement :-(

It looks amazing and I really wish I had the opportunity to get to know it better
    Posted 12 years ago by AJR Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you, all you wonderful and talented people at Tiny Speck. You've created one of the most fun and friendly games I've ever played.
    I'm not mad, like the closing faq page says, I'm sad. You guys gave me over a year of great and creative game play.
    And the community you built. I've never played with a friendlier group of people.
    Good luck to all of your staff, I wish there was a way we could stay posted on what you all get up to in the future.
    I wish there was something I could do, but all it comes down to is, "Thank you."

Good night, sweet Glitch.
    Posted 12 years ago by The Oncoming Storm Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you very much for creating such a beautiful game.  It will be very hard to replace, and I doubt there will ever be a game as special as this one.  We will miss it when it's gone. 
    Posted 12 years ago by Alejandria Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you, Tiny Speck, for this wonderful game.  I'm grateful to have had the opportunity to play and love it.  Thank you again for giving me a place to call my gaming "home." It's been a long time I've felt this way about a game. Others have asked, in different topics/posts, will there be any soundtrack to purchase in the future? Or, any other special downloadable mementos to purchase? Good luck in all you and the Tiny Speck staff and Glitch designers and creators choose to do in the future. Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas.
    Posted 12 years ago by Kridla Subscriber! | Permalink
  • If you ever bring out another game TS I'll be there ! there is nothing like Glitch it is and was one very special game! 
    Posted 12 years ago by MancyPants Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Giving props by just keeping on doing what I've been doing: www.glitch.com/snaps/PUVSR0...
    Posted 12 years ago by FyodorD Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Oh my, it´´s Faunasphere all over again...

:(
    Posted 12 years ago by Lilica Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Words can't describe how sad I am to see this game go. I haven't been able to bring myself to sign on for more than a few minutes every once in awhile because seeing the world of Ur brings a sense of despair and loss that twists my gut.

I only started playing a few months ago, but it felt like home from the start.

Not only that, I can say it literally saved my life. The month of September was a dark one for me, with my depression at an unheard of peak and suicidal thoughts whispering in my ear for the first time in my life. It was a cold, lonely time where I gave up many things that were important to me. And then, as if the Giants had heard my silent cries, my Beta Invitation wormed its way into my e-mail.

I was immediately hooked; hooked like I hadn't been on a game in years and years. The world of Ur with all its curiosities, bizarre creatures and even stranger places to explore quickly dispelled any dark thoughts I had. I couldn't be depressed when I was surrounded by the colorful oddities around me. (Butterfly milk! Egg Trees! Talking rocks! Beaurocrocs! How strange! How delightful!) 

I've never before stuck with a game for more than maybe two weeks; I normally lose interest after just a few days... but Glitch became really important to me, really fast and to see it go... T'is a dark day indeed.

Congratulations, Tiny Speck Team, for making such a beautiful game, and THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart for stopping me from doing something stupid. 

May your next project be succesful and just as whimsical as this.
    Posted 12 years ago by Pika Pika Pikarin~! Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My entire life, I've imagined myself to be very small. I've felt ashamed, frightened, and not very good at life in general. Even as an adult, I've been scared and withdrawn. I moved a lot as a kid and never connected with anyone. I stopped doing many creative things when I hit my 20s. I shut it all down, have missed it terribly, but have been too afraid to put things out there, whether it's playing music, singing, writing or theatre. I live for random delightful encounters with people in passing--I've always joked that I make a great acquaintance, but not a very good friend. I withdraw. I hide. From the very first happy tree sigh, I knew that Glitch was giving me an indescribably wonderful place to hide...or so I thought.

One of the things I've valued most about Glitch is that, even while I got lost in it, took refuge in it, it's given me a chance to see myself in relief. Thanks to the many people I've met here and our interactions, I've learned a lot about who and how I am--both the good and not-so-good parts. I can see where I need to keep changing and growing. I had many little encounters with people--and some big ones, too. I've become a little braver in some ways, even recently. I actually decorated my tower, though I didn't publicise it much. But I did it! I've started to speak out a little more when something troubles me and when I'm overwhelmed, rather than nodding and smiling or pretending it's not happening. I've tried to be honest about how I feel. This can be very, very hard, but it's through being here, in Glitch, that I'm learning to do this better. Glitch has been a beautiful environment in which to play and try doing social things, even the little things that scare me. I'm still not so great at it yet, but I'm trying.

If I could, I'd have stayed here forever. But I can't. None of us can. Time to leave the nest and go out into the world and try being a grown-up for realsies. I'm thinking about picking up my violin again after 21 years of silence. Back to my spindles, my spinning wheel, and my knitting. Maybe I'll write some poetry.

Thank you, TS, for creating such a beautiful place for us to play--the music, the artwork, the humour, the sentiment and objectives behind the game--and thank you to the players--kindred spirits, friends, acquaintances, and trolls alike--who came together to create a community that was everything from loving to fractious to downright pigheaded-unreasonable, and who helped me see myself a little more clearly. For better or worse, I've cried and felt real sadness over some encounters here; sometimes I've been furious (so much for "it's just a game", huh?). But I've experienced such joy here as well. I've screamed with laughter till I'm incoherent and braying like a donkey, I've been in awe at others' creativity and organisation, I've been moved to tears by others' generosity and kindness. You have all given me so much, and there will never be words for that.

For a very long time, I have felt and been very small. Thank you, Glitch, for helping make me bigger. I love you all, and will miss you very much.
    Posted 12 years ago by Voluptua Sneezelips Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I have loved every moment spent here. Nothing can replace it.
    Just over a year ago my good RL friend, Dave, encouraged (actually, insisted) that I try Glitch. He was smitten by it and wouldn't shut up. I tried it - thinking I would be bored and could say it just wasn't "my kind of thing". HA! We played it together and apart. Sometimes we would both be in the world and not connect, but always knowing where each other was. He was far more sociable than I. When we'd meet up at our "local" for a bite or a drink, it was all about Glitch. He was going through hard times and the game was his refuge.
    Sadly, Dave passed away suddenly in September. No goodbyes. When I sign in I still look for his name. But his spirit is still here. His game name was "Xocd". I liked the idea he was still keeping an eye on me and his friends in Ur.
    When this does end, I will finally mourn his loss.

Thank you to the friends I've made here and to the devs who turned imagination into magic.
    My heart goes out to you. Any loss belongs to those who were never here.
    Posted 12 years ago by Patricia Subscriber! | Permalink
  • But I love you all so much!!!!! </3 :'(
    Posted 12 years ago by RJStormRider Subscriber! | Permalink
  • i haven't really posted much about this yet, because it's taken me a few days to come around, and then a few more days to find the words.  first i was dumbstruck, then i was heartbroken, then i was sorta numb, and now all i want to do is all the things.  all the quests -- heck i will even do the peat bog quest for the first time.  all the places.  all the shenanigans.  all the friends.

a bit more soon but for now i wanted to say at least this -- and although i didn't get in the first 1000 replies, at least i can have a prime number spot :)
    Posted 12 years ago by katlazam Subscriber! | Permalink
  • i hope that someone at tiny speck will read this.

thank you tiny speck for creating this game. i am not a gamer. this game was different. cooperative. non-violent. so cute and funny and awesome!

so sad that i only found it 5 or 6 weeks ago. i haven't even made it to level 27 (almost).

the announcement that glitch was closing came on the same day i went to my grandmother's funeral. that was a rough day, because of dealing with the death, and afterwards i logged into the glitch game as a distraction from my reality, only to hear that glitch is dying, too.

the game is closing on dec. 9th - and i am due to move back to the USA where i could play it better - with a faster, more reliable internet connection - on dec. 11th. soooo sad.

i was already so sad about my grandmother, but to find that a game that i had only just started to love, that i had only a couple weeks earlier subscribed to, will soon be over - just before the a time when i was anticipating having more time to play it. but it is ending during a time i will be so busy moving that i won't have time to play it through the end. heartbreaking. i can't really say what i mean eloquently........

i just found the plate of beans today and had the privilege of overthinking that plate of beans so many times. that reinforced it for me. how much i love this game, how perfect this game is for someone like me. to overthink the plate of beans. such a simple thing. soooooo like me to overanalyze something to the point of being ridiculous. i love this game.

thank you for inventing it. thank you for working so hard on it. i wish it would be around a while longer, so i could fully experience this world and this game, on a good internet connection, and make it to the highest level. and see what else in this world is as perfect as overthinking this plate of beans.

thank you tiny speck for providing such an innovative world to explore. and good bye, glitch.
    Posted 12 years ago by htebazile Subscriber! | Permalink
  • i lobe you, i always will
    Posted 12 years ago by Li'll Missy Brenda Subscriber! | Permalink
  • To the staff and developers: Thank you all for creating glitch. I am so happy to have been able to see your creativity, art work, whimsy, humor, and cleverness. I lobe your music and ideas. You brightened my corner of the world and gave me a chance to jump, be imaginative, and spread RK. I start my real life days thinking "how can I be glitchy today?" I see sparklies and I thank you for that. Good luck in all your endeavors, you are truly remarkable.

To my fellow players: Thanks for the fun. It has been great playing with you. I think of glitch as more of a toy than a game and you all were great to hang out with. Glitch was my "second life." What a great group of players! I send you endless RK and "hi s" lol you rock.

To the Giants: I will keep imagining...
    Posted 12 years ago by Friday 13 Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It was lots of fun, and very funny, and I do hope all you great developers get to do something awesome and fun again soon. Thanks so much!!!
    Hugs
    Emu
    Posted 12 years ago by Emu Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I finally found this game and joyfully made my account on what was to be the last day of account creation.  After frolicking around the world for five hours or so, I went to link it to friends only to see in the link text that my beautiful new thing was ending.  Ten minutes of bitter flailing rage later saw me frantically writing e-mails to Geek & Sundry, Gabe and Tycho, one Mr. Wil Wheaton, any any other nerdy fantastical people I knew of who might have the power to save my new best friend.

I'm not sure if any of them will pay attention... but it's the first time I've cared enough about a thing to really give my all in trying to save it.  If the understanding of how that feels is all I get from my finding of this beautiful inexplicably foundering game, I've still come away richer than I was.  

Thank you, Tiny Speck, for the bitty bit I get to play.  It's been one of the most overwhelmingly positive gaming experiences I've ever had, and I just want you to know that I'll be in the ship with a bucket bailing out water until the very last second of December 9th.

You should make some way for us glitchen to send you guys money for Hooch and... blankets (?).  I don't imagine we have much, but what we have, we share.

Love and Peace,
    Shae'lyn
    Posted 12 years ago by Shae'lyn Subscriber! | Permalink
  •  I thought about it too, call Anderson call Oprah  call Santa Claus anyone who will be willing give the game  plug , some how I doubt it would help though "sigh"  I am playing until the end , dec 10th is my  b -day some how I won't feel like celebrating :(
    Posted 12 years ago by MancyPants Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I'm a little bit late to the party here, but I just wanted to say, thank you so much to the developers, and the community. This is one of the best online communities I have ever found, along with a great game, and it's very sad indeed to see it go away. Thank you for the times we did share, from the earliest days of mining and singing to butterflies, to the latter days of firefly whistling and Rook fighting. It really was great. Thank you all.
    Posted 12 years ago by Houdini Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is... this is just some kind of April Fools joke, right?
    Posted 12 years ago by Greenus Zmobieich Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you for creating easily the best MMO I have ever played...ever! The community, the staff, the content was all amazing and I am truly sad to see such a piece of art fall to the wayside. I sooooo wish that I had millions of dollars because I would so donate to it in a heartbeat. I still think there are plenty of ways you could bolster funding whether it be KICKSTARTER or scale back on updates to the game to only 4 or so a year.
    It was a lot of fun! I wish I would have seen this game advertised more, it would have generated more revenue! Now I will have so much free time without this game!

Hopefully Tiny Speck can move their creative energies to other projects now!
    Posted 12 years ago by Funkii Subscriber! | Permalink
  • SO much I am going to miss. but right now, as I wander about in beautiful Pintura Prosa, I am most going to miss the soundtracks. We can snapshot the beautiful art, but is there *any* way for us to grab any of the beautiful music?

And even if there isn't, Thank you TS. Glitch was visionary. I'm waiting for the next age of the Giants.
    Posted 12 years ago by Petra Herata Dynica Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @Petra: www.glitch.com/forum/genera...
    Posted 12 years ago by Alyx Sands Subscriber! | Permalink
  • @voluptuasneezelips, that was beautiful. Hugs! *crying all over again*
    Posted 12 years ago by Daisy Blooms Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks TS - dyou remember what Thurgood Marshall said about GNE . . . ?

sweet world.
    You have sustained us and brought us strange and wonderful things.

We have wasted time and spent it well,
    our dreams and words have soaked into thee.

Our parties and artwork and strange constructions flit through you.

Leave us happy.

hello world 
    Posted 12 years ago by bhikku Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I am so very sorry about the end of Glitch. I lost a game -- a wonderful, marvelous, silly, warm, fantastic game -- but Tiny Speck lost so much more. I'm not just talking about jobs, either. I was saddened; you must have felt as though your hearts had been ripped out. Everyone with whom I interacted in my time in Glitch (start of first Beta until the very end) has been phenomenal! When the High Class Hoe was first introduced I had great problems with it. First kevbob and then Jono tried mightly to make it work for me. It still doesn't, but that doesn't matter. I couldn't believe that Jono spent time tweaking code because one person had a problem. It was so much fun to play right along with you all. When stoot got a doll from the Rube he actually seemed excited and happy.

I've read bits and pieces of other Forum Threads and can't believe the vituperation you've all (but especially stoot) been subjected to. Nothing like kicking someone when they are down!

Some things made me snigger (the Wood trees) others made me feel as though I was amongst a group of post-PhDs (the Egg Plants). And where else would one find philosopher dolls! With real quotes! Tiny Speck -- you are all so very talented -- art, storyline, programming, support, etc. -- and so very dedicated to making Glitch the very best it could be. I thank you for an incredible 20 months. Perhaps Glitch will rise again or Tiny Speck will develop another game.

You have our email addresses. I hope that you will keep these so that you can notify us if something develops. An art book of the story lines and some of the art would be an incredible keepsake. I would gladly pay real money for one. It would be a shame for all of the hard work to disappear.

I wish you all the very best in the future -- professionally and personally. I feel honored and privileged to have you in my life.

Huge, warm, hopefully comforting {{{ HUGS}}}.

Marla
    MontytheGeek
    Linda
    Posted 12 years ago by Marla Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Lovely, bhikku, well remembered and so very apt.

Be well, all, it's been a superb ride. 
    Welcome to the new time of our new imaginations.

--ER.
    Posted 12 years ago by Eleanor Rigby Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thankyou so much Tiny Speck. You folks didn't just create an engrossing gameworld. You created one in which the only goal was to share in other people's happiness, and people here responded to that in a way I've never seen before. Whether leading ghost tours or throwing feasts or even just handing out rare and complex ingredients for the sake of basic human decency, Glitch's players understood that collaboration was at the heart of Tiny Speck's vision. Sure there's WoW guilds and EVE online's syndicates, but those sorts of groupings carry a kind of prison-gang mentality in that you need them to survive. The whole of Glitch was simply a free association of charming, witty, silly individuals - both familiar faces and the kindness of strangers.

Thanks again Stoot & the team; I'm so sorry this couldn't work out. See you again in communism ;-)
    Posted 12 years ago by Scoresby Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Hello all,
    I haven't played in a while... life getting on my way... but it was sad to learn that this extra special game has to close. Tiny Speckers I wish you all the luck you deserve! You are amazing people and I know life will have something great for all of you. 
     To all my friends: FS refugees and all the great people I met here, I also think life will bring great thing to us. I know we'll meet again. Look for "Couso" anywhere and just ask if that is me. "Couso: a really tiny and beautiful town in the north of Spain where my grandfather was born".

God bless you all!!!!

Couso
    Posted 12 years ago by Couso Subscriber! | Permalink
  •     Glitch is the first and only multiplayer game I have ever played.  I'm now looking at other such game worlds online and it becomes obvious how unique, brilliant, special and wonderful Glitch is. 
         Of course I am sad it's ending but I am also very very happy to have been a part of it.  Such a wonderful world!  Such a wonderful community!  Sheer genius by you folks who've created and run Glitch!   I'm very doubtful that there will be anything like this again for a very long time.  Unless of course you folks come up with something else and in that case please let us all know so we can join.
         Thank you so very much for all of this.  It takes special people to create a special world, please remember this, that you folks are GOLD.
    Posted 12 years ago by Dewa Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you so much for what you gave us, Tiny Speck. I loved it very much.
    Posted 12 years ago by Batsquatch Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I only just joined not long ago... I was so excited to start such an exotic and different game! Big loss, I actually teared up while reading the announcement... Thank you so much, I'll never forget the little time I spent here! <3
    Posted 12 years ago by Seburrito Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This game was unlike any other game. TS, you guys made this game amazing beyond belief, and I hope you'll create another game with the same wit and brilliance you had with this one.

~Alcie~
    Posted 12 years ago by Alcie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I just came to Glitch yesterday, and I can't decide if it's better or worse that I only played for such a short time. The community for this game seems so awesome that I regret not being able to be more involved, and even in under a day I was drawn in by the lore and the gameplay. I salute the Tiny Speck team for its accomplishments, and I hope that one day I'll be able to see more from you, even if it's far in the future.
    Posted 12 years ago by Dracobolt Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is so sad and lame! I am so sad it did not work out. This game was amazing in its simplicity and playablitly. Lol I will give my college money if that will help! ( lol it wont help anything I am just really sad to see this amazing little game end.) Maybe some day a new form of this will be resurected. Thank you for all you have done staff!!!!!!!
    Posted 12 years ago by Indigobud Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is so sad and lame! I am so sad it did not work out. This game was amazing in its simplicity and playablitly. Lol I will give my college money if that will help! ( lol it wont help anything I am just really sad to see this amazing little game end.) Maybe some day a new form of this will be resurected. Thank you for all you have done staff!!!!!!!
  • ooops sorry about the double post.
  • Thank you for this game.  It was exactly what I needed!
    Posted 12 years ago by alch3mist Subscriber! | Permalink
  •       I joined glitch not so long ago, but due to college starting, never got around to playing it much if at all. Then the other day, when I actually had some free time, I got on to play for a bit and found out the coolest mmo ever was going to die. I was really heartbroken. Even though I hadn't played as much as some of the other players on here, I felt like glitch was a second home. I loved this game for the short amount of time I played it and it must feel horrible to see it die this way. The game itself was an amazing idea and I'm still wondering why it had to end this way. I wish tiny speck the best of luck in their future game plans, this was possibly the best game I ever played on the computer.

KiwiPie
    Posted 12 years ago by xKiwiPie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This is so sad... :(
    Thank you for everything Tiny Speck, you created a magic that I never felt in a game before.
    thank you so much, good luck guys
    you deserve the best

Glitch always in my memory!
    Posted 12 years ago by Ruksi Subscriber! | Permalink
  • This was an absolutely worthwhile game TS, don't let anyone tell you different.
    Posted 12 years ago by DOOMy Nutpuncher Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you so much for Glitch.  This game was absolutely preposterous.  Yet, I very much liked it.  </3
    Posted 12 years ago by WV Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I don't really have anything to say that wasn't said better by other people...but I started playing only a week or so before the announcement. I had already become addicted, which isn't usual for me. And I often get bored of games quickly, but I've been playing almost every day, even though the game won't be around much longer. I want to see everything and do everything and I absolutely love it.

I'm sad that more people didn't get the chance to play, because Glitch is SO worth it. Glitch is one of the best games I've ever played and it's a tragedy that it has to go. Even more so than the game, I love the players. I love the notes written in-game about how much everyone loves Glitch and will miss Glitch.

Thank you for the few weeks of incredible fun and memories~
    Posted 12 years ago by Southie Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thanks for the fish.
    Posted 12 years ago by Sassycats Subscriber! | Permalink
  • as john oxenberger said in "hardcore logo" .."and in the end there s love".
     i ve played a fair amount of games  but Glitch was the first i ever loved,and i loved that it was about sharing the love and community no matter how disfunctional. for over a year this has been my happy place,with so many layers and so many secrets to explore. i learned so much about myself while wandering the lands , coming upon strangers , interacting,hugging mooning and splanking, squeezing petting and nurturing. you really should consider putting a version of Glitch forward as psychotherapy or education. like my wonderful old firebog house i will keep returning until there is no access, and then a few more times. i will return for a while in my dreams and will always wander the caverns and mountains in my memory . thank you all for such an insightful and interactive playground. stay awesome all of you.
    Posted 12 years ago by tiggy Subscriber! | Permalink
  • Thank you, Tiny Speck.  As Stewart said in the recent article the game was "non-combat MMO ... based on absurdity, humor, and whimsy" and yes, there aren't many of those.  Glitch is  artistic, creative and fun enuf to keep my interest. I also never liked combative games ... too stressful for me! :) This is the first game I actually got addicted to and LOVED. I feel so sad now when I log in and haven't been playing much knowing the end is coming. Thought I would spend as much time as I could but I feel like I'm grieving whenever I'm in game. :( I wish Tiny Speck had won the lottery so they could keep the game going just for us "whimsy" types. :) Again, thank you for a fine RL escape. Hope you come up with another one some day. We need more whimsy in this crazy world. Best wishes!!
    Posted 12 years ago by Seaweed Subscriber! | Permalink
  • I LOVE YOU :D
    Posted 12 years ago by Aero Subscriber! | Permalink
  • It's so hard to be here right now. So special.. So sad.. what else is there to say? 
    Posted 12 years ago by Leithwyn Subscriber! | Permalink
  • My 10th Glitchy birthday is next Saturday.  It is the 48th of Bruise.  How sad I will be at my birthday party.   I hoped to grow old here.
    Posted 12 years ago by Kookaburra Subscriber! | Permalink
1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26